Most procrastinators think that they are lazy or that they just don’t care enough. But that truth is that most procrastinators are smart hard-working people who just can’t seem to get things done. To be truthful I put off writing this article because I didn’t feel like it was important enough to care about until the day it was due. Online there is a psychiatrist who has developed a test to see what kind of procrastinator you are.
1. When faced with a task, do you think of all the ways it could go wrong?
2. Do you picture how important people in your life might react if you failed?
3. Do you believe it’s better to not try at all than to try your best and fail?
4. Are you overwhelmed by the possibility of new responsibilities if you are successful?
5. Do you subscribe to the idea “If I do well, then others will expect more of me”?
6. Do you feel your success will lead to other people finding out the “real you”?
7. Do you believe that if you’re going to do something, you should try to do it perfectly?
8. Do you find it difficult to persist when things aren’t going just right?
9. Would you rather avoid doing something than do it imperfectly?
Overall she has determined that the cause of procrastination varies. It could be because you fear failure, success, or you fear perfectionism. Either way it always ends up you putting a project off until the last minute.
After taking the test I have determined that I partially fear failure and partially fear not being perfect. I agree that I am not going to feel great doing something that’s not perfect, but I don’t really fear failure in that sense. Take the test and find out why you procrastinate!